Black Bean Hummus
Hummus is traditionally made with chickpeas, but now that we’ve tried it with black beans we might like this velvety rich version even better. Pack some into a small container and try it in your lunchbox with carrot sticks and celery, or be daring and pair it with cheese or turkey in a sandwich.
Colander or strainer
Food processor (adult needed)
Serving bowl or lidded container
- Put all the ingredients in the bowl of the food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until smooth. Now taste it. Does it need more lime or lemon juice? More salt or spice? If so, add it and taste again.
- Using the spatula, scoop the dip into the serving bowl or lidded container.
- Serve right away or cover and refrigerate up to 5 days.
When you add the beans, add one or more of these:
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, cilantro, or basil leaves
- Grated zest of the lime or lemon you’re using
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeño peppers or hot sauce