Fresh Corn, Black Bean and Red Pepper Salad
This recipe is from Georgia Chavent, MS, RD, CSSD, Director of the Nutrition and Dietetics Program at the University of New Haven.
French knife (adult needed)
Sharp knife (adult needed)
4ears of corn
1⁄2red onion, chopped
1 can(15.5 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- Shuck the corn, remove the “corn silk” and boil for 3-5 minutes until fork tender and not mushy. Allow the corn to cool and slice the kernels off of the cob by using French knife along side from top to bottom of the cob. Continue slicing off kernels until all have been removed, then discard the inner core (corn kernels from leftover corn on the cob may also be used, or frozen corn kernels- (14 ounce bag).
- Chop the red pepper and onion.
- Slice the ends off of the freshly washed jalapeño pepper. Slice in half lengthwise and carefully remove the seeds (be careful NOT to touch your eyes or skin during this process because the spice of pepper seeds can irritate sensitive skin). Once the seeds are removed, slice halves again lengthwise and then chop into minced pieces.
- Rinse and drain the black beans.
- Mix together.
- Splash lime juice and mix in seasonings to taste.