Any-Bean Dip | ChopChop
Move over, mayo! This dip can be made with any kind of bean (kidney, black, white, and chickpeas are our favorites). It’s a great addition to turkey or cheese sandwiches. Or fill a sandwich with vegetables and bean dip, the way you’d use hummus. Of course, it’s also good scooped up with carrots and celery, or whole-grain tortilla chips.
Food processor (adult needed) or potato masher or fork
Strainer or colander
Medium-sized bowl (if you’re mashing by hand)
Carefully, with the help of your adult, put the steel blade in the food processor. Put all the ingredients in the food processor and process until completely smooth. If you are adding optional ingredients (see Fancy That!), add them now, and pulse to combine.
Put all the ingredients in the bowl and mash the beans with the potato masher or fork until they’re as smooth as you want them (or have the patience for).
- Taste the dip. Does it need a squeeze of lemon or a pinch more salt? If so, add it and taste again.
- Use right away or spoon into a lidded container, cover, and refrigerate up to 2 days.
Add any of the following:
- Grated zest of 1 lemon or lime
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil, parsley, or cilantro leaves
- 1⁄4 cup Spinach Pesto or chopped olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped chili peppers, chives, onions, or shallots