Better Beets | ChopChop
Neither First Lady Michelle Obama nor the President likes beets. We think we can change their minds! We got this recipe for beet tsatsiki, a gorgeously pink, tangy dip, from friend and chef Ana Sortun. Serve with pita chips, celery sticks, even turkey or chicken sandwiches. What do you think?
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Small pan with lid
Colander or strainer
- With the help of your adult, turn the oven on and set it to 425 degrees.
- Remove all but 1 inch of the beet stems and all of the greens. Put the beets in the pan and add ½ cup cold water. Cover.
- With the help of your adult, place the pan in the oven and cook until the beets are tender when pricked with the knife, about 35 minutes. Put the beets in the colander and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Run cold water over the beets. While the water is running, press down on the beets with your fingers and the skins will slip right off.
- Put the garlic and lemon juice in a mixing bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. Add the yogurt, olive oil, and dill.
- Using the box grater, grate the beets and add them to the bowl. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate. Add extra dill for a garnish if you want to be fancy.