Crusty Cornbread | ChopChop
Cornbread is tasty with any kind of soup or stew, but it's super delicious with chili. This kind of bread has a long history. Native Americans learned to cook with cornmeal well before Europeans came to this country.
2 mixing bowls
8-inch square baking pan (glass preferred but metal ok)
Whisk or large spoon
Sharp knife (adult needed)
- With the help of your adult, turn the oven on and set it to 400 degrees. Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Put the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, put the eggs, buttermilk, oil, and maple syrup and mix well. Be sure the eggs are completely mixed.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Do not over-mix.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and with the help of your adult, put the pan in the oven.
- Bake until the top is golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cut into 9 pieces. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Leftover cornbread? Dice it up and toast it for salad croutons.