Eggs Fried in Breadcrumbs | ChopChop
This is adapted from our friend Mollie Katzen’s recipe, from her book The Heart of the Plate. It’s a bit like fried eggs and toast, only the toast becomes part of the fried eggs. Kind of. (You’ll see.)
Medium-sized skillet with lid
- Put the bread crumbs in the skillet and set the heat to low. Toast, stirring constantly, until they are golden brown.
- Add the olive oil and stir well.
- Push the bread crumbs into 2 flat rounds. It’s okay to have some crumbs on the side.
- Crack 1 egg into the bowl and pour it on top of a pile of bread crumbs. Repeat with the second egg. Spoon any extra crumbs over the tops of the eggs, and sprinkle very lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover the skillet, and cook over low heat, until the eggs have set (this means that they are cooked on one side and aren’t gooey).
- Use the spatula to loosen the eggs and carefully flip them onto the uncooked side. If some bread crumbs come loose, that’s okay, just put them back on top.
- Cook until just set. The second side will cook much more quickly than the first.
- Carefully loosen the eggs and lift them out onto a plate. Serve right away.