Striped Soup Mix | ChopChop
A pot of soup is not the kind of present you can wrap—but a beautifully layered jar of homemade soup mix is! Plus, you can make a lot of presents at once to use up all those beans.
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
- Carefully layer the beans in the jars, using ¼-cup of each type of bean.
- Put 1 bay leaf in each jar, and screw on the lids.
Add a ribbon and a gift tag that says:
1. Take out the bay leaf.
2. Rinse the beans with cold water and then put them in a large pot. Cover them with fresh cold water and soak them overnight.
3. Drain the beans, add them back into the pot with 6 cups fresh water or chicken stock, one 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes, 1 clove chopped garlic, and the bay leaf.
4. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer gently until all the beans are tender, about 2 hours.
5. Add salt to taste.