Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry | ChopChop
Serve this fragrant and colorful Indian stew over rice. Curry powder is actually a Western invention, but it’s a mix of traditional Indian spices that might include coriander, turmeric, chiles, cumin, fennel, black pepper, garlic, ginger, fenugreek, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and mustard.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Vegetable peeler (adult needed)
Large skillet with lid
- Put the skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium-low. When the skillet is hot, add the oil. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, just until you can smell them, about 30 seconds. Stir in the curry powder.
- Add the coconut milk, tomato paste, water, and salt, and turn the heat up to medium. When the mixture is boiling (you’ll see bubbles at the surface), add the sweet potatoes and chickpeas and stir.
- Turn the heat down to low, cover the skillet, and cook at a gentle simmer, until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Uncover the skillet, add the peas, and cook for 5 minutes to blend the flavors, cook the peas, and thicken the sauce. Taste the curry and add a pinch of salt and/or another sprinkle of curry powder if the flavor needs a boost.
- Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Chopped cilantro
- A dollop of plain yogurt