Turkey Chili | ChopChop
Chili is pretty great in the winter! It warms you up on the inside.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Strainer or colander
Large heavy-bottomed pot with a lid
- Put the pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium- low. When the pot is hot, add the oil.
- Add the onion, peppers, and garlic and cook until the onion is very soft, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the turkey or chicken, a little bit at a time, stirring after each addition, until it just starts to turn white. Be sure to wash your hands with soap and water after handling raw poultry!
- Add the spices and cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and tomato puree and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Take the lid off and cook uncovered for 30 more minutes. Serve right away or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Add about 2 tablespoons of any of these to each serving:
- Sliced scallions
- Sliced black olives
- Corn kernels (fresh, canned, or thawed frozen)
- Chopped fresh tomatoes
- Plain yogurt
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Diced avocado
- Lime wedges